Thursday, September 20, 2012

pocket watch pacifier chain

So I've been trying to find a cute binky clip for ages. I remember seeing a little boy at church four years ago who had one that looked like a pocket watch...and that was that. I knew I needed one. Unfortunately, she couldn't remember where hers came from, and an etsy search was fruitless. So, after extensive google images research on pocket watches, I headed to JoAnn's for their 50% off jewelry sale.

*No worries, all binkies (and feet) were thoroughly washed following this photoshoot*

These are the first fruits of that venture. I like the effect, but I still have a few details to iron out. For example, a pocket watch is usually hooked in a buttonhole on the shirt and then stored in the breast pocket of a vest or jacket, like so.

Or a watch pocket on a pair of pants. Ever wondered what that little pocket inside the front right pocket on a pair of 5 pocket jeans was for? Yep, a pocket watch. #knowledgeispower

Anywho, so I obviously had to have a more sturdy clip to prevent curious little fingers from detaching the whole chain. I also made my chain a little long, so I could clip it to his belt loop if he's wearing a t-shirt and still allow the binky to reach from the clip to his mouth comfortably. I also feel like legit pocket watches have more different size connecting rings...for what purpose, I'm not sure, but maybe I'll raid my broken jewelry stash and scrounge up a few more rings to make it look cool.










I think the first attempt is pretty darn cute, even if the first thing my husband said when he saw it was, "Why is he wearing a chain? Is he emo? No one will know what that is." I love that he is smart enough to retract previously uttered opinions when five people at church said "Oh cute! Pocket watch!"

#nailedit


 post signature

1 comment: